Friday, September 14, 2012

My first "Run Happy" entry

I finally decided to start a blog! I've never been much of a writer but what the heck, here it goes!

In my blog I will share some of my favorite pass times such as, jumping out of planes without a parachute, swimming with sharks, and running through the woods naked. Hahahaha...Just kidding! I do consider myself a very spontaneous individual who pretty much enjoys anything that gets my adrenaline going. :-)

One of my favorite pass times is running! Looking back I remember how it all began. While training for my first half marathon in 2007 I joined a running club, and it was here that I met some amazing runners who would eventually change my outlook on running. These folks had run marathons, and some had even run further distances such as 50 and 100 miles.. WOW! After having run with these folks for a while I started to believe I to could run 26.2 miles. So guess what I did? In December 2009 I ran my first marathon (thanks coach Marty)! After crossing the finish line some 3 hours and 57 minutes later I seriously thought I was gonna die and thought I never wanted to run again. I said to myself, "Who in the world wants to run that fast for that long?...NOT ME!"
Moving forward I continued to run with my amazing running buddies, and again I was inspired to take on another challenge... that's right folks, the ultra marathon. I decided I wanted to run a 50K! I knew I would be running at a much slower pace due to the difficultly of the single tracks with it's rocks and roots and the relentless climbs, but this was more up my alley. I would be running in the woods, kicking up dirt, and dancing with the trees. What more could a girl ask for?!
Since then I've traveled across the country and most of the Southeast participating in more than 30 plus running events such as the half marathon, the marathon, multi day stage races, and most often the Ultra marathon.

 I'll run pretty much anywhere, but my joy is most often found high up on a mountain, deep in a forest, or fully exposed in the desert. Running allows me to explore places many may have thought never existed. I'm looking forward to sharing these experiences and journeys in hope that I may inspire others to do the same. It's time to get out there and RUN HAPPY!


No comments:

Post a Comment